The Shade Project

The guest bedroom in my condo had blinds on it’s only window that let in too much light, even when they were closed. This made for early wake ups. I went to Home Depot to look for a six foot long pull down shade that would block out as much light as possible and found shades rated as “Blackout Lighting”. Back home, I double checked my window measurements and the next day purchased the shade. It was cut to fit the window and I was given the brackets needed to install it.

After paying at the self checkout area, I left the brackets in their small bag at the register. I realized this when I got home, and drove to the local hardware store in town. I got the last set of brackets they had that looked like the ones from Home Depot. Once home, I discovered these brackets did not fit the ends of the shade, so I decided to go back to Home Depot.

I stopped at the self check out and asked a worker bee if they found the bag I forgot. He looked at me like I was from Mars, turned away without a word, and starting talking to someone else. I went back to the windows aisle and got another package of the brackets I was given on the first trip, paid for them, and headed home again.

These didn’t fit either. Back to Home Depot. I found the guy who originally gave them to me, and he instantly assured me I was mistaken, they would fit. My verbal response to this assurance convinced him to go back to the shades section with me where I proved I was right. The ones he gave me earlier were for smaller shades, not the larger ones. I grabbed the correct ones, paid for them, and went back home.

These brackets were the correct ones. The overall install, counting the excessive car rides, went from about 10:30 in the morning to 4:30 in the afternoon. This is the norm for me with these type of DIY activities. But the shade works as intended and does make the room a lot darker than the blinds did.

I posted this in the “Life” category because I couldn’t bring myself to create a “Life as a Hapless Idiot” category.